At Kraklow Family Dentistry, our top priority is preserving damaged teeth and restoring their health and function. We are proud to offer custom dental crowns utilizing cutting-edge technology and time-tested techniques. Dr. Donna Kraklow will evaluate your unique needs and determine if restoring your smile with a crown is the best treatment option for you!
What Is a Dental Crown?
The two main parts of a tooth are the crown and root. The crown is the portion you see above the gum line, while the root is the part that’s anchored to the bone. A dental crown, also known as a cap, is a tooth-shaped restoration that covers the visible portions of a damaged tooth. When placed, it fully restores the tooth’s health, strength, function, and appearance.
Dental crowns are considered a high-end restorative solution that provides the most natural appearance and function. They come in various materials, but the ones that look and feel most like your natural teeth are made of acrylic or porcelain.
Why Would You Need a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are versatile restorations with numerous uses, including the following:
- Covering teeth after root canal therapy to maintain their strength and integrity
- Restoring teeth with deep decay or large cavities and not much tooth structure remaining
- Repairing broken, chipped, or cracked teeth, fully restoring their form and function
- Strengthening weak teeth and preventing their breakage
- Correcting the length and restoring the health of teeth worn due to chronic grinding (bruxism)
- Replacing missing teeth by covering dental implants or supporting bridges or dentures
- Transforming smiles by closing small gaps between teeth or correcting the color, shape, or size of teeth
What Is the Crown Placement Procedure?
Placing a dental crown usually takes two dental visits. First, we will numb the area and prepare the tooth by removing a layer of enamel to accommodate your restoration. Next, we will make an impression of the area to send to our dental lab for fabrication. We will place a temporary crown on your prepared tooth while you wait.
During an upcoming visit, we’ll check your crown for a perfect match and fit, then we will cement it in place. Your new aesthetic restoration will look, feel and function just like any of your natural teeth!
Quality Dental Crowns Near Me
Visit Kraklow Family Dentistry in Waukesha, WI, to learn more about our quality, durable dental crowns. Dr. Kraklow and her caring team are committed to ensuring you maintain a healthy smile for a lifetime! Call 262-547-4433 to schedule your appointment or request one online today!